Friday, May 9, 2014

HSF '14 Challenge #8-UFOs & PHDs

Good afternoon, lovely readers! It's a stormy day and I have a few minutes over lunch to complete an extremely late post for HSF. I finished the challenge on time, but hadn't had the opportunity to get it photographed until yesterday so please accept my apologies. As our family is in the midst of moving (out West) I don't have much time to write so please try to be content with a picture-heavy post without much elaboration.


This is my first-ever pair of Georgian (1750s-80s) Stays!!! I thought I might have them completed for the HSF Challenge "Under it All" but that was not meant to be, so I saved it for this challenge. Blood, sweat and tears, folks...blood, sweat and tears...one of the hardest projects I've done and one of the most rewarding!!! 


My tecniques were not all historically acurate...the boning consists of plastic zip-ties, almost everything is machine-stitched and instead of actual hand-worked eyelets, I stitched double-fold bias tape down every inch and half-inch to create loops of a sort (I can't claim the idea as my own, though; I saw that on Pinterest) But the important thing is that I achieved the correct shape for the period. That's what stays/corsets are for! "It can look like a dyin' duck!" No one's really going to see it (unless you blog, of course) and as long as the shape is correct, you've made a goal!


Don't kill me, historical sewing purists, but I didn't finish the bottom with bias tape. Life is too short and pinking shears are near at hand. Like I said, no one's going to see it on me except me :)


I'm so pleased with the outcome! It's comfortable to wear and now I can really get going on my Georgian wardrobe. It's kind of blown up overnight, in a way. Less than 2 weeks after I complete my stays, I find myself with 3 Petticoats, a Caraco Jacket and a Bergere Hat! Pictures coming soon, I promise!








NOT a Weeping Angel, thank heaven!




Just The Facts, Ma'am:

The Challenge: #8-UFOs & PHDs
Fabric: 1 yd. Pink Ribbed Satin, 1 yd. Canvas Linen
Pattern: Corsets and Crinolines draft
Year: 1750-8os
Notions: Thread, Zip-Ties, Bias Tape
How historically accurate is it?: Approx. 70%
Hours to complete: 12-ish...who's keeping track?
First worn: Will wear with outfit for HSF Challenge: "Black and White" photoshoot
Total cost: $10 or so...I really busted my budget on those Zip-Ties, didn't I? ;)

2 comments:

EDzasperated said...

WOW!! What an impressive feat of engineering yet quite beautiful, too. It looks unbelievably complicated but clearly you figured it out and persevered. This proves you can do anything you set your mind to, even the dreaded math, I'll wager. Love you, Antella

Paige said...

Wow, nice job McKenna! I look forward to someday seeing a complete Georgian costume. :D
I know that you're probably quite busy, but I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Beautiful Blog Award. :) See my post if you decide to do it.