Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Book Review: "Ellen" by Heidi Peterson

“As the young wife of a sea captain, Ellen lives cheerfully and faithfully. Then tragedy strikes and all that she has–and is–is put through testing fire. Bound up with her story is that of Pierre–an urchin off the streets of a far-distant city shipping out on a great adventure–and also that of his captain–a man seeking to snatch safety for his men whatever the cost to himself.”


Ellen is the newest addition to my library and I am proud to place it among my beloved family of books. Just like the members of a family, all books have different personalities. Different stories; lives of their own. I don't judge books by covers. If I did, my dilapidated copies of Little Women and An Old Fashioned Boy might not have made it to the place of honor they hold on my shelves. On the outset, Ellen might seem like just another shoddy attempt to remake Jane Austen but it most certainly isn't. 

 An instant classic, this skillfully crafted story of a young woman living in 19th Century England, captured my heart and encouraged my Spirit. I have read "Christian" books that tell an otherwise secular story and slap a few Bible verses and some nice sayings on the top like an afterthought. Refreshingly, Ellen starts with sound Biblical principles and builds a story to support it. 

I have little to gripe about. I'm no Simon Cowell but I will speak the truth, though I haven't much of anything ill to say. The main flaw I found with the story is that the principal characters seemed a bit too perfect. Thus, the main flaw is no flaws. Though the main characters are relatable and were created, I think, with the intent to be an example of excellence, only one of them had any of his personal faults exposed and he was a child in need of guidance. Also, though the book stands on the legs of a solid story, I felt that some of the details were not expounded upon as they had the potential to be. 

However, a book should not be defined by its faults. I think that, like a food critic, though the plating gets points, the flavor of the dish is what should be the focus. The flavor (the plot) of this dish (book) is delicious, nourishing and satisfying, though the plating (minor details) could have been improved. I hope that made sense. Overall, Ellen is a charming, encouraging and inspiring story. I recommend it for girls ages 12 and above, as it deals with some mature concepts like grief, pregnancy and deprivation but it serves as a lovely introduction to antiquated language as well. I hope that you snatch up an opportunity to read this book! I know I'm so glad that I did.

Heidi Peterson is a daughter and sister living at home with her family in the American mid-west. As such-and among other things-she enjoys gardening, photography, fiddling, ethnic cookery, history, literature and word craftsmanship. Visit her website at http://ladyofanorien.blogspot.com/.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, McKenna!