Thursday, March 13, 2014

Playing Up Neutrals+Book of the Week


It's my first outfit post! Yaaay!!! I have been inspired by so many lovely modest fashion blogs lately, that I thought it was high time, after 5 years of blogging, I join in the fun and share my style :) And with today's outfit post, I'm also starting a new tradition: BOOK OF THE WEEK! 
But first, the outfit...


When wearing neutrals, it's important to include a splash or two of color to keep from looking drab. Oftentimes, even a tasteful, nicely pressed outfit can take on a frumpy tone if there is lack of color. Today, the basis of my outfit is a beige sweater with a denim-style linen maxi skirt. That's the "cake". The "frosting", or accessories, are a multi-animal-print scarf and a belt. The color to play up all these neutrals comes courtesy of rusty-red wedges (I know they look like flats; the wedge is only about an inch tall). 



 ::Outfit Specs::
:Beige Sweater-Old Navy (Thrifted):
:Linen Maxi Skirt-Saint Tropez West (Thrifted):
:Scarf-Flower Factory:
:Belt-(Thrifted):
:Shoes-Wanted (Thrifted):


And the book of the week is "Mother" by Kathleen Norris. This is one of my favorite books of all time! You may remember that I mentioned it for the Literary Heroine Blog Party . I have read this book three or four times over the past several years and still can't get enough! The sweet redemptive story of this potently pro-life book written in 1911 touches my heart again and again. 

"Mother" recounts several years of Margaret Paget's life in the early 20th Century and her introduction into secular society, away from the small town and large family she grew up in. As the personal secretary of the famous Mrs. Carr-Boldt in New York City, Margaret flourishes, feeling that her talents are finally getting the recognition they deserve. But all around, her morals and beliefs are questioned and everything her Mother taught her is brushed aside by society, considered "old-fashioned notions". They say children are a neusance, husbands should be kept in their place and a woman should not be expected to drudge her existence away as a housewife. Margaret must learn the hard way that though "society" has rejected the Biblical model of womanhood, the principles that her Mother taught her will always stand firm.

I recommend it for girls ages 12 and up. The language in the book is antiquated (which may make it difficult to grasp for younger readers, though it's certainly not Shakespeare!) and the subject matter may be a bit mature for young girls (the question is raised "how many children are too many?" and, as many of the secular, feministic viewpoints of our bereaved culture are discussed, it may confuse young girls). It would be a refreshing and encouraging read for mothers, especially young mothers who are adjusting to their new role in the sphere of the home.




What do you, dear readers, think of my outfit? Have you read "Mother"? Should I continue with "Book of the Week"? Do we really need the color chartreuse? Did you look that word up in the dictionary? Let me know what you think and comment below! Or email me at missmckennaray[at]gmail[dot]com. Have a beautiful day!

5 comments:

EDzasperated said...

I love the outfit - you have a way with words in describing your attire and I don't recall reading the book 'Mother' but it is one I will have my daughter locate for me. Keep up the inspiring work and thank you for the phone call! xoxoxo Love Grandmom of he most fabulously talented grandchildren

Paige said...

Good job on your first outfit post! Your shoes are so cute!
Also, that book sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing more book of the week recommendations in the future.

CBoyer said...

Hurray!! I am in love with this outfit Mckenna, partly because it is neutrals, and partly because I love any bright red flat. You look so pretty in it, and I must say, I love your short hair. You have peeked my curiosity with your lovely book review of "Mother", so much so that I believe I will be searching high and low for it at all of the antique shops nearby.

Thank you for sharing!

Fondly,

Jessica
The eldest sister & singer

McKenna said...

I'm so glad you want to read "Mother", Jessica!!! It makes me tear up every time :) You must let me know as soon as you find it. I would love to see a vintage copy!

Unknown said...

I love your skirt! It's so cute...=)

Ashley B.
Like No Other Fashion
www.likenootherfashion.blogspot.com