Saturday, February 1, 2014

HSF Challenge #2-Innovation: Blue Velveteen Regency Spencer

The garment called a "Spencer", named after the Earl of Spencer, was the first women's garment for outdoor wear that included sleeves! It was truly a life-saver, since, during the very early Regency years, when women began to wear fewer layers (going from at least 6 to as few as 2!), they began to get sick because they didn't have sufficient outerwear to protect them from the elements. Cloaks weren't as effective as they once had been. When the "Spencer", often a military-style coat, came out for men, it was quickly adapted for women to accommodate the empire waistlines and keep them warm through the seasons of cold.


I was really excited about this challenge! Particularly because I've had Jennie Chancey's "Regency Spencer/Pellisse" pattern for a few years and haven't gotten around to using it yet. It is a very good pattern overall. However, the sleeves, as you can see, are very big on me and it almost channels the mid 1820s instead of the late 1790s, which is the year my white gown comes from. I'm going to go back later and take the sleeves in, easy-peasy. 

Oh! You like my turban? Why thank you! It's a quick, easy and historically acurate way to conceal my scandalous lack of hair! All I used was a scarf, a few bobby pins and 2 feathers.
I know I didn't get any pictures, but sometimes, the most enjoyable things about a project are the details that go unseen. Things like hand-sewing, which I LOVE to do! I machine-stitched most of the Spencer but after the sleeves were in, it was mostly by hand. When I do up sleeves, I like to leave the lining free and then hand-stitch it in place over top to conceal the seam :) I got through almost 2 episodes of "Lark Rise to Candleford" during the sleeves and the hem. I also tacked down the collar so it would stay in place.




The Challenge: #2-Innovation
Fabric: 2 yards Navy Blue Velveteen
Pattern: Sense and Sensibility Patterns "Regency Spencer"
Year: 1818ish
Notions: Thread, 1 Frog Closure
How historically accurate is it?: 100%
Hours to complete: 3-4, it was a quick one :)
First worn: Only worn around the house to show it off!
Total cost: $0! This project was stash-tastic!




No comments: