Saturday, February 15, 2014

HSF '14 Challenge #3-PINK

Sorry this is a bit late in the day, but better late than never I suppose...this is my peachy-pink 1940s Easter dress. That means, I have plans to wear it on Easter! 
The pictures explain it better than I could but here's the gist...I can't figure out exactly what type of fabric it is (I'll have to ask Grandma when she visits next) but it drapes beautifully and acts like linen but doesn't feel like it :P
I went all-out and made a complete toile out of ugly pink broadcloth yuk and then ripped it apart and marked it and used it as the pattern for my expensive pink fabric that I was sweating bullets about cutting up. I love the neckline and the cut of the bodice all the way around! I'll be using this pattern again for sure. I promise I'll reference it tomorrow after I, you know, sleep. (See update below)


Neckline detail. Sorry it's blurryish.



Waistline detail.

Back neckline.


Back and sleeve.

Back hem detail.



The Challenge: #3-Pink
Fabric: White-Flowered Pink Drapey Cotton/Linen
Pattern: Simplicity 0970 
Year: 1943
Notions: Thread, 1 Button
How historically accurate is it?: 100%
Hours to complete: 5-6
First worn: For the Photoshoot
Total cost: 2 1/2 Yards Fabric-$17.50 (I splurged), Pattern-$10.50. Total: $38.00...wow, after adding that up, I just realized that this is more than I've ever spent on any item of clothing ever!

4 comments:

Gina said...

Oh my word!! Everything about this lovely dress is so charming! All of the little details you have in it make me so want to start sewing 1940s!! So very well done!!

Blessings!
Gina

CBoyer said...

What a beautiful dress! I just found you because you started following our blog. I think I'm going to have to have more of a look around your lovely site. I'm so glad to find another fellow Historical Sew Fortightlier in Ohio!

Blessings in Him,

Brigid
the Middle Sister and Singer

McKenna said...

Hi Brigid! Thank you so much!!! I love your site. Are all of you gals doing HSF or just you? I have been having so much fun doing it :D What part of Ohio do you live in?

Doll Up Clothing said...

Beautiful dresss!