Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Accordion to Kellie: Literary Heroine Blog Party!!!

Kellie Falconer, the blogger behind "Accordion to Kellie", is hosting, for the 4th year running, "The Literary Heroine Blog Party! Pop over to her blog HERE to join in the fun! Here is my questionaire completed to get to know a little more about me :)



~ The Questions ~
1. Introduce yourself!  Divulge your life's vision, likes, dislikes, aspirations, or something completely random!

Greetings and salutations one and all! My name is McKenna and I am a history buff, musician, seamstress, lover of books and Earl Gray tea, an actress, costume designer and avid shoe-and-hat-wearer. I have many, many aspirations (many is an understatement) but right now I am focusing on Costume Designing and, on the side, acting, for the Independent Christian Film Industry. I hope someday to be blessed with a faithful, godly husband and a houseful of children and, eventually, grandchildren and great-grandchildren! I love traveling and adventure, but don't get out of the house much for now :) Mostly because it's Winter in the northern Midwest! Call me crazy, but I've never been much for the beach, though I'm not opposed to going, as long as I'm not expected to actually swim. I'm much more at home in a mountain and I really enjoy hiking, camping and horseback riding, though excursions are few and far between. I live in the suburbs of a city but I'm a country girl at heart! Randomness: I'm a selective perfectionist; I could care less about whether the dining room chairs are arranged properly or the mantel is disarrayed but the embroidery on the vest must be perfect!

2. What, to you, forms the essence of a true heroine? 

One of the things of beauty that is a heroine, is how different each one is. Emma Woodhouse found humility, Jane Eyre was loyal, Kate Nickleby was committed to her purity, Jo March had perseverance, Margaret Hale and Amy Dorrit were both generous spirits and Elsie Dinsmore was a meek and quiet spirit; an example of godliness. All so different but all reflecting honorable virtues. This is sadly lacking in many of today's modern heroines that exemplify lying, cheating, immodesty, masculinity and sleaziness. True heroines are not defined by their social status, cultural circumstances, a cookie-cutter mold or even their "main character" status. What binds true heroines together is the reason they were created; to be an example of excellence for girls to aspire to. I think it may be safe to say that Jane Austen, Emily Bronte, Charles Dickens, Louisa-May Alcott, Elizabeth Glaskell and Martha Finley were, each and every one of them, hoping that their characters might be an inspiration for girls aspiring to take their own place in society as upright and exemplary models for the next generation of girls.

3. Share (up to) four heroines of literature that you most admire and relate to. 

Catherine Moreland; aside from the fact that both of our fathers are in ministry and we're both part of big families, we have similar personalities. Naive, romantic and excitable with a penchant for avid reading and getting easily carried away. Emma Woodhouse; though I haven't attempted matchmaking (yet), I tend to mother-hen everybody like she did; leader of the conversation, dabble in many artistic endeavors and tend to be rather prideful and just a smidge self-absorbed. And lastly, Rose Allison-Dinsmore from the "Elsie Dinsmore" series. I love getting to instruct and encourage younger girls and try to uphold a godly example for them. I have also been told, more than once, that I am likely to marry a man a good many years older than myself!

4. Five of your favorite historical novels? 

In no particular order: 
1) Mother by Kathleen Norris 
2) Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
3) Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder
4) Elsie Dinsmore by Martha Finley
5) Little Women by Louisa-May Alcott
Note: I have read all of these books at least twice. 

5. Out of those five books who is your favorite major character and why? 

I definitely agree with the saying, "Asking me to choose my favorite book (character) is like asking me to choose my favorite child!" But, I think I can pick one in this case. Of the above, my favorite character is Margaret Paget from "Mother". I didn't mention her above in the heroines section but I identify with her so much!!! In the story, Margaret lives in a tiny town with her large family but longs to travel the world. When she gets the chance to do so, she discovers that everything the world was trying to teach her was false, while the teachings she received from her mother at home held true. 

6. Out of those five books who is your favorite secondary character and why? 

Mother Wilder from Farmer Boy! Through the years, Mother Wilder has been an example to me of industriousness and hard work with graciousness. She came alongside her husband and supported him wholeheartedly and contentedly :)

7. If you were to plan out your dream vacation, where would you travel to - and what would you plan to do there? 

There are so many places I want to go! But most of all, I want to go to England and Scotland. That's where my maternal great-great-great-great grandparents came from. That is why my first and middle names are Scottish :) I want to go to the Jane Austen Festival, go boating among the Hebrides and (a crazy dream of mine) go horseback riding across the highlands...I know...it's hopelessly romantic idealism...

8. What is your favorite time period and culture to read about?

I have a hard time sticking with a true favorite for historical eras. Currently, I'm obsessed with the 1930-40s and also the 1850s. But Regency always reigns! I have a historical wardrobe full of Austen-inspired gowns and accessories. The English and Scottish culture has always fascinated me but my first love is and always will be American history.   

9. You have been invited to perform at the local charity concert. Singing, comedy, recitation - what is your act comprised of? 

I would assemble a quartet (I play Viola). But, if it was just me, I might play a Flute solo or come up with a film score cover for Viola. For example, a medley of music from Tangled played on Viola or Violin and ending it with singing one of Rapunzel's songs.

10. If you were to attend a party where each guest was to portray a heroine of literature, who would you select to represent?

Kellie, you are speaking my language! My imagination is going to quite run away with me! I would represent Emma Woodhouse. Or grown Elsie Dinsmore (1850s). I guess I'll cross that bridge if I ever get to it :)

11What are your sentiments on the subject of chocolate?

God's gift to mankind. One of the evidences of Grace and an assurance that our sins have been forgiven!!! 

12. Favorite author(s)? 

Laura Ingalls Wilder, Elizabeth Prentiss, Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, Lucy Maud Montgomery, Elizabeth George Speare, Eleanor Porter, Randy Alcorn (modern author), Corrie Ten Boom, Martha Finley, Louisa-May Alcott, Frances Hodgson Burnett, Elizabeth Glaskell, Howard Pyle and that's just off the top of my head.

13. Besides essentials, what would you take on a visiting voyage to a foreign land? 

A large sewing kit. A notebook and a nice camera. As much spending money as I could muster and an extra suitcase. I'm big on souvenirs. 

14. In which century were most of the books you read written? 

19th century.

15. In your opinion, the ultimate hero in literature is… 

Nicholas Nickleby.


16. Describe your ideal dwelling place. 

A refurbished historical home filled with period furniture and antiques. A very homey house with lots of room for hosting and being hospitable. One reason I would love to live in a historical home is because they tend to have such large kitchens and pantries! In my mind, it's on a farm with a big barn and lots of animals. Horses, cows (I plan on marrying a cowboy, of course ;) chickens, pigs, goats, barn cats and several dogs! I love dogs! 

17. Sum up your fashion style in a short sentence. 

Classy vintage fashion with gypsy flair and just a dash of nerd.

18. Have you ever wanted to change a character’s name? 

Not yet. All the books I have read so far have had aptly named characters!

19. In your opinion, the most dastardly villain of all literature is... 

Ralph Nickleby.

20. Three favorite Non-fiction books? 

1) Costume Design 101 by Richard LaMotte
2) Joyfully Home by Jasmine Baucham
3) It's (not that) Complicated by Anna Sophia and Elizabeth Botkin 

21. Your duties met for the day, how would you choose to spend a carefree summer afternoon? 

Reading or hand-sewing outside in the fresh air :)

22. Create a verbal sketch of your dream hat - in such a way as will best portray your true character. 

A deep-violet pleated felt cloche hat with a sprig of magenta-colored violets and a light pink ribbon. 

23. Share the most significant event(s) that have marked your life in the past year. 

Moving a state over for 4 months, moving back to my hometown and now preparing to move, we don't know where yet, very soon.

24. Share the Bible passage(s) that have been most inspiring to you recently.

Psalm 8 and 19!

10 comments:

Paige said...

I really enjoyed reading your answers, McKenna! It sounds like you and I have some things in common (such as a love for historical fashion, the UK and dogs!). I look forward to following you. :)
~Paige
Sunday Best and All the Rest

McKenna said...

Thank you so much, Paige!!! So glad you enjoyed it and I commend you for your good taste in interests ;) I'm so happy to have you!

Salinn said...

It was so fun reading your answers. We like a lot of the same books. I love Elsie Dinsmore books, Farmer Boy, and Little Women also. The Elsie Dinsmore Series is my favorite. I like Rose Allison too.:)

Paige said...

So, I have decided to nominate you for the Sunshine Award. :) If you want to participate, the details are on my blog. If not, I understand.

McKenna said...

Wow!!! Thank you so much, Paige!!! I would LOVE to participate! So, I answer the questions and post them on my blog, linking back to you and then nominate 3 bloggers of my own? Is that right?

Paige said...

Yes! You may nominate however many bloggers you like though.

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

I haven't read the Elsi Dinsmore books in so long! I did love them, once. I'll have to try to dig the 8 or so that I have out of a box one of these days and revisit them. Thanks for reminding me of them!

Jessie said...

Northanger Abbey is Austen's most underrated novel. In the movie The Jane Austen Book Club (also a wonderful book) the character Grigg is told that Austen wrote Northanger first and it was published last. He makes the connection that it is a novel about other novels. You see Austen as the young writer, questioning herself: who's a heroine? what makes a good story? That is why I really like Northanger Abbey. Austen took her insecurities as a writer and turned them into a novel!

Heidi said...

I much enjoyed reading your answers! I really like your humor.

Oh, and..."I could care less about whether the dining room chairs are arranged properly or the mantel is disarrayed but the embroidery on the vest must be perfect!" I was just about laughing at that...finding it so self-applicable. :-)

McKenna said...

I'm so glad y'all found my answers enlightening (and humorous). It was so much fun!!! Jessie, I completely agree with you! Northanger Abbey is my favorite Austen novel so far :D