Sunday, December 1, 2013

Lego Minifigure Wallet Tutorial

I was trying to find a tutorial or an idea on Pinterest for a gift I could make for my young brothers and cousins this Christmas. But what I got was...nothing. Not one thing I could use on the whole of Pinterest. So, as I always do, I had a great idea! The thought process went something like this, "What do boys like? LEGOs. Right. What's something Lego-related that I can sew that won't look...girly? Hmmm...wallets! Yes. Wallets that have pockets to tote minifigures! And I can make them out of felt and keep with our Ohio State University football theme!" And that was how the idea was born. Beautiful process, isn't it? After the initial "rough draft", I made 3 for my cousins and took pictures so it's a tutorial now! This is so easy, that it's realistic for a beginner and, once you get going, it only takes about 15 or 20 minutes to stitch up!
 

 
Aren't they cute? I understand if you don't agree with me that Ohio State is the best football team in the world, but please, no Michigan nonsense in the comments! Now, on with the tutorial!
Step 1
Gather your felt. Using the small, precut sheets is the easiest way. You can actually use any fabric you want, (I'm not trying to be bossy, here) but I chose felt because it's durable and easy to applique with. I love the stuff and keep it in stock all the time! Have fun experimenting with colors and applique ideas.
 
 
Step 2
Cut 2 pieces of the base color, each 8"x4" and one 8"x2" This is the outside, inside and minifigure pocket for the wallet.
 

Step 3
Mark the pocket. This is easy to measure. Place the short pocket piece on top of the inside wallet piece. Mark the middle with a straight line (in chalk) then make another straight mark 1 1/4" to the right and another mark 1 1/4" to the right of the second line. Repeat for the left of center pockets. Stitch with contrasting thread down each line, leaving the ends open as shown below.
Note: I didn't think of this until it was too late, but now would be the time to put in some Velcro or snaps to hold it shut. They're not necessary, but a very good idea.
 
 
Step 4
Stitch across the top of both pieces (leaving 1/4" un-stitched at each end) with contrasting thread. Fold the outside wallet piece in half and place your applique(s) as your heart desires. Stitch or glue it in place. The great thing about felt is that you can leave raw edges and it's totally okay! Just stitch around your applique and no one's the wiser. If you're making this wallet for a girl, you can sew a flower on the front! Other ideas for appliques are: Yellow Lego Face, Football, the Lego logo, Pizza, a heart, Initials,  anything! I would love to see what you come up with.

 
Step 5
This is the true beauty of using felt; no fussing around. No need to turn things around or inside out because raw edges are perfectly acceptable! Pin the 2 wallet pieces wrong sides together (be sure your applique and pockets are on the proper side and not upside down or anything) Stitch, in contrasting thread, around the sides and bottom of the wallet with 1/4" seam allowance. Then, stitch straight up the middle, through all the layers to create 2 inside pockets and a folding guideline. Now, all that's left is to trim the seam allowance even (you can use pinking shears, if you want)

Inside pockets!
Voila! A very thoughtful, personalized gift to give to your favorite brother or sister or whoever loves Legos and likes to tote them around! If you get really generous, you can even fill the pockets with the gift of minifigures! If you have any questions, post a comment below or email me at missmckennaray@gmail.com. I would love to see the variations you come up with! You can even link to show pictures of what you made below. Have a beautiful day, everyone!

It wouldn't stay flat for me :P

 


No comments: