Thursday, November 21, 2013

Mirial's 1840s Elsie Dinsmore Birthday Gown

 
This is the 1840s Elsie Dinsmore dress I made for my sister Mirial's 8th Birthday. She had been telling me for months that she wanted an Elsie tea party so I was quite prepared when her birthday came around :) I used Jennie Chancey's "Girl's Romantic Era Dress" Pattern (Purchase it here ) I recommend ALL of Jennie's patterns! They're well written, easy to understand and simple to put together. You can find her historical costuming patterns at sensibility.com .

This is also my entry for the Historical Sew Fortnightly (find out more here ) Challenge #24: Re-Do. I am making up for missing out on challenge #10: Literature. Since this dress is made specifically to be a garment that Elsie Dinsmore would have worn, I believe it counts to complete the challenge :)


 To create this dress, I had to make a few modifications of my own to the pattern even before I cut it out. {TIP: No need to fully pin down the pattern pieces to your fabric. Use chalk! It doesn't have to be fancy and you don't even need to purchase it from a craft store. Simply put a few pins in to secure the pattern piece and trace around it with the chalk. Easy-peasy!} I widened and extended the cap sleeve to create a balloon sleeve and flared the bottom of the bodice so that I could gather it to the waistband. I drafted the waistband, the sash and the scalloped collar myself (sorry, they're not included in the original pattern) I also widened the waist of the skirt so that it could be gathered as well. The waistband seams are top-stitched. My dear Grandmom finished the dress for me on the day of the party while I frosted the Petit-Fours. She attached the lace, put in the elastic at the wrist and stitched on the hook and eye at the top of the back closure :) Thank you Grandmom!!!
  

Here are the HSF Details:
Challenge Re-do: #10: Literature
Fabric: Deep Blue Velveteen
Pattern: Sense and Sensibility's "Girl's Romantic Era Dress"
Year: 1845
Notions: White Lace Trim, 4 Pewter Buttons, Hook and Eye
How Historically Accurate is it?: Very close (except for elastic)
Hours to Complete: 5-ish
First Worn: October 26, 2013
Total Cost: Approx. $5 (I know, it seems impossible, but it's true!)





Mirial with my (now retired) Elsie Dinsmore doll



 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know this is overdue, but i love this dress. I am 13 and I LOVE the Elsie Dinsmore series!