Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Thanks-Christmas Gifts+A Mini-Tutorial

I hope everybody had a lovely Thanksgiving! In my family, we spend Christmas with my Mamma's side of the family and celebrate "Thanks-Christmas" (Christmas celebrations on Thanksgiving) with my Daddy's side of the family. Gratefully, I had time to sew some small gifts for the family. The theme was about the best football team on earth, Ohio State University! You may not agree with me, but please don't post any Michigan nonsense in the comments. Saturday proved our point. Anyway, I took some photos and I have links to any tutorials I used. But, I've found that it's really hard to think of something to sew for young boys. I have 3 cousins, ages 8-15 on my Daddy's side and I couldn't find any tutorials on Pinterest. So, surprisingly, I decided to make my own and the idea that came to me was to make a Minifigure wallet! You can read the tutorial here. But first, a few pictures and helpful tutorials by others...
 


These here, above and below, are the clutch/purses I made for my Grandma and Aunt. I used Beth Huntington's "Pendleton Clutch" tutorial (you can find on eHow here ) I also encourage you to check out her amazing website "The Renegade Seamstress"  (http://chicenvelopements.wordpress.com/ )
For Grandma's Clutch (above), I used the wool from a felted brown vest with plaid cotton for the lining. Sorry it looks a bit lopsided, it's actually not. And for Aunt Amy's Clutch, I used the wool from a reclaimed coat, red polka-dot cotton for the lining and red gingham ribbon for the accents on the front. The tutorial was quick and easy. I will certainly be using it again!



 
I also fashioned 2 Ohio State University ear-warmers for my Aunt and my cousin Hannah. They are made from the comfiest felted sweater and the are so cozy and soft! They are both original designs but easily replicated, so I won't bother with a whole tutorial.
I made these ear-warmers by first measuring around my head and subtracting 5 inches. Then, I cut a rectangle to the measurement and tapered the ends. Now, all that's left is to stitch a button to one end and 3 inches of elastic, folded in half to the other. You can add an applique or a flower or anything you want! But, of course, an Ohio State emblem is the best way to go!
 

 
And, finally, I made my Uncle Steve an Ohio State iPad cover inspired by this one from StyleMingle . It's pretty self-explanatory and worked out really well!
 

 
And I must make one more honorable mention. Although I wasn't able to take a picture before I gave it as a gift, check out Lula Louise's Reversible Shoulder Bag tutorial here.
 
I hope you enjoyed this post! If you liked it or have any questions, comment below or email me at missmckennaray@gmail.com Have a blessed day :)


No comments: