Monday, February 18, 2013

Recommended Reading List #1

So, I have compiled a list of my favorite books that I recommend to everyone when they ask. I've read most of these at least twice through :) My favorite and my best, as you might put it! 



First is "Stepping Heavenward" by Elizabeth Prentiss. It's the fictional journal of a girl growing in her faith during the mid 1800's. I've read this one through many times and discover more about the heart of what my Savior has for me each time through. It's a good read-aloud for older sisters or mothers to younger sisters 12 and up. And I say 12 and up only because the antiquated language might be a little beyond early comprehension.



This book was a happy birthday present from my parents two Summers ago. A fantastic read for girls 13 and up. Debi Pearl hits home with practical insights to how we as single young ladies can be preparing for our future position as helper and completer at the side of a godly man. There's also a study guide at the back written by one of Debi's lovely daughters!



"Little Women" is one of my annual reads! The home-centered tale of four sisters is rich with good old-fashioned American history and values to apply in every day life. I recommend "book one" (the first half. My edition is divided) for all ages. And it's fairly easy to understand even for younger girls. But, part two is more...how shall we say, romantic? It's the part where the girls go abroad, fall in love, and get married. If your younger girls struggle with things like keeping their hearts at home, and romantic thoughts and feelings, I wouldn't recommend it yet. Or the second sequel (book 3) "Jo's Boys". That one gets pretty intensely romantic. 



This book is fabulous for all ages! A great read aloud for the whole family. "Little Britches" by Ralph Moody is the story of an East-coast family that moves to Colorado to start a farm. I've read it 4 times through and it gets better each time :)






A riveting tale told in first-person by Corrie Ten Boom herself! This narrative takes place in Holland during WWII when the Ten Booms hid Jews in their home above the watch shop. 


I have mentioned this book before, but I had not read it yet. I am at the end of it now and gaining more and more knowledge each page I turn :) Perhaps I'm not very clever with post titles, but this truly is on the top of my recommended reading list! 

There will be more to come as I read and acquire more books to add to my library (the top of my dresser). Meanwhile, what are the books that you recommend? Have you read any of the books that I posted above? Please comment and let me know!
 




3 comments:

Patrizia said...

YAY! I found you! Good reading list right there :)

Elle said...

Fun!

I recently read "Half the Church", by Carolyn Custis James--wonderful, Scripture-filled look at the needs of women worldwide, and our role/ability as women to help further the Kingdom. Loved it. I'd picked it up at the library, but I might have to buy a copy to keep sometime. :)

I'm currently reading "Walking on Water" by Madeleine L'Engle--great reflections on faith for us creative types!

And I definitely recommend checking out goodwomenproject.com... It's an awesome Christian website for women in their teens and early twenties that covers a really wide range of topics with integrity & love. So much of what I've read there has ministered to my spirit, especially as a newly married girl!

Happy reading! Love ya!

McKenna said...

Thank you, thank you! I really appreciate that, Faye (I love your name :) ) I will definitely look into your suggestions, they sound great! Glad you found me, Mrs. Ferrar :D