Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A Poem...By Me


I wrote this poem about a year ago and haven't thought to share it with the world until now. It expresses the way I feel toward my family and the life that God has blessed me with! How...maybe it's not "perfect" to the world...but it's "perfect" the way God saw fit to create it!

Here's a house with flower beds
of colors o so gay
nary a weed has been seen there
where bumblebees do play

The grass is green, the fence is white
the house is like a picture
and looking in the window
you can see the silver fixtures


Inside, the place is spick-and-span
the dust does never stay
The silver gleams, no children scream
it always smells of May

The bedrooms never see a piece
of clothing on the floor
The shelves are neat, the flowers sweet
and bloom forever more

The windows will stay open
a cool breeze flowing through
And when you heave a deep breath in
you'll feel completely new

But what it lacks is joyful noise
and a loving family
For it must stay stay so clean and neat;
you must not touch, just see


Now I will tell you of a house
with no white picket fence
The grass is dry, the weeds are high
The kids have dug a trench!

The rooms look like a hurricane
swept in and left disaster
I never in my life did see
a closet emptied faster.

Laundry piling in the rooms
but not prepared for washing
to find your favorite sweater, dear
the toys you will be tossing

When you enter in the back
through the smudged storm door
the muddy footprints big and small
are tracked upon the floor

But peek inside the kitchen, friend
it brings a smile to see
the wet, and muddy commodores
that sip their sweet iced tea

Some are tall and some are short
their faces all a mess
but sitting still and giving thanks
they feel so very blessed

So as we close upon this scene,
of joyful faces dear
don't forget to be content
with what God gives you here

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Bravo, dear friend!!!! Very thought provoking!!! <3

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
McKenna said...

Thank you Jessica!!! I'm glad you liked it :)

Ashlyn said...

Loved this poem! Sounds just like us :)

Has been SO long since we've exchanged an email! I met you at big sandy in 2010! I sent an email about a year ago- I was getting ready to go to a journey.
Anyway. I read your bio, and wow! I'm impressed! You're busy :) I'm starting a photography business, and I also lead a Bright Lights group! I literally JUST started!! I had my second meeting a week ago!! Anyway, it'd be neat if we could catch up some more!
My email is ashlynyates@gmail.com. And if you text, I'd love to give you my phone #!
Delight in Him,
Ashlyn
Psalm 37:4
Ps- love that you are working on beyond the mask! Can't wait to see it!!! :)

McKenna said...

Oh my goodness!!! ASHLYN!!! I'm so glad you like my poem :) Actually, I replied to your email, but assumed you never got it...I can resend it now, if you want :) So excited about your BL group! I'll definitely be praying the the Lord grows your group and gives you lots of opportunities to disciple these girls. Photography business. That's so awesome! You should start a blog and post your pictures so we can see them. I will link to your blog in a post! :D I'll be emailing you!