Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Modesty

I've recently sent an e-mail to a very wise person that I know of, asking her for advice on the issue of modesty.
Here was my e-mail:
Dear Very Wise Acquaintance,
I read your interview with modest ladies and I totally agree with everything that they said. But, I was thinking of girls like me, who really do alot of activities that are dificult to do skirts in. I like riding horses, and we live one house over from a homeschooling family who's just like us, and we play with their kids almost every day-we do the kinds of activ ities that a skirt doesn't work for like riding bikes which is the main thing that we do with them..........I don't have a whole lot of pants. But, I don't have a whole lot of skirts either. My daddy says that especially since it's fall, that pants are more practical-he's not saying that skirts are bad, he's just saying that skirts aren't as practical. I don't know what to think because I'm always feeling uncomfortable in pants, and my daddy loves to see me and my sisters and my mom in skirts, but I sometimes wish that we wore more skirts and dresses.
Could you encourage me, please? I love my daddy and I agree with him, but it seems like I'm getting pressured so much to wear more pants and less dresses and skirts from everywhere-even from him.
Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Mckenna

Here is her reply:
Dear McKenna,
It's nice to meet you! .......What great questions! To start off, I love the respectful way you talk about your daddy; how good to see you honoring him. :-) If he thinks that your outdoor activities would be better handled in pants than a skirt, then you may joyfully submit to him while still looking feminine!
I like to wear long, flowing shirts, or even short, knee-length dresses whenever I put on pants. This helps me to still feel feminine and graceful while giving me the freedom to go through my daily activities with the freedom of pants. These longs shirts and short dresses are all over the place this season: Target, Wal-Mart... and thrift stores are a great place to discover neat finds when it comes to any article of clothing.
As far as being pressured to wear pants, McKenna, I would encourage you not to heed what your friends thin about what you're wearing. You've got to be comfortable in your own skin! After all, it isn't your friends who have to wear your clothes; you do, and you ought to like them! :-) I usually wear skirts and dresses, and my friends are always making kind-spirited comments about that fact; at first, I took offense, but I had to get a th icker skin, and to wear what I liked, and what I was comfortable in! Pretty soon, my friends started trying to dress like me, asking me where I'd gotten some of my clothes! :-)
If you find you are too chilly in skirts during this season, maybe you could put on leggings or tights with them? I think that looks very cute and feminine, and it keeps your legs warm, too!
Keep striving to dress femininely, and to please your parents in what you put on, McKenna! I know your submissive attitude will glorify the Lord.
Love in Christ,
Very Wise Acquaintance
I definately agree with her. It doesn't matter what others think of what you wear, because, they're not wearing it-you are! That hits it home!!!
I have a pair of jeans that are beginning to wear out a bit in the top half-I've had them for almost a year. And I think that a short dress would be the perfect solution to my problem.
If you have a blog, I challenge you to write your opinion on modesty.

No comments: