Monday, November 24, 2008

Laundry

I'm sorry that I haven't had much time to write lately. We have family coming to our house for Thanksgiving and we've been very busy.
My particular duty this week has been laundry. Lots of laundry. Our Family Room has been transformed into my folding/sorting station. There are approx. 9 buckets stuffed with clothes neatly "arranged" about the floor.
Laudry has always been a big setback in our lives ever since...well...since my daddy and mamma had me. Mamma could never find time to do the laundry (I was a very fussy baby) and being a "rookie" when it came to managing a household, was always overwhelmed with clothes and probably dishes, too (not anymore of course, she keeps our house running like a well oiled machine!). Then after my brother Moses was born, we moved to Indiana where we had Mirial and Matthew and-you guessed it-the clothes piled up.
Then, we were getting ready to move again back to wherever we lived before (we move alot) and we had to have a friend help us get all of our laundry done! We moved back to the city in which we live now, and lived in a tiny rental house, and you-know-what piled up again. We lived there for a year and then, we get ready to move again. About this time, I was offered a position in the laundering business, $3.00 an hour. O.K., mom, I'll take the job. I did not know how deep the pool I was diving into was going to be.
It was MASSIVE!!!! It looked litterally like you could dive right in and start swimming..."Where's my bathing suit? Oh, right. I suppose that I'll find it once I sort these clothes out." It took me over two hours to sort it all. "$6.00!! I'm rich! Oh, I still have to clean the laundry. Well, I'll make up a song while I do it." I made up new words to the tune of "Feed the Birds" from Mary Poppins.
Clean the clothes, that's what I do.
Sorting, washing, folding all day!
Clean the clothes, I certainly try, while overhead mom's gaining her spry.
All around the dark basement the mice and the spiders all scurry out of the way!
Although I can't see them, I know they are crying because there is no place to hide.
Clean the clothes, that's what I do!
Sorting, washing, folding all daaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!
Impressive, huh? Mamma cracked up when I sang it to her. She told me to write it down, but, I have (as daddy says) a memory like a steel trap-and I can't believe that I actually remembered that song!!
Anyhoo, I finally finished all of the laundry with some help from my awesome family. And I made $0.00. Mamma and I actually forgot about the money(I'll have to remind her anour that)and we were doing laundry up to the day we loaded the truck and moved our stuff.But, hey, we were caught up. Not for long!! Cue the sad music!!!!! Okay, you can put your violins down now and keep reading.
We have lived in our house now for almost a month. I am now officially in charge of the laundry-I still get paid, of course, room and board and 3 meals a day plus desert and snacks!!! I'd say that's a pretty good exchange considering the fact that laundry's not all I do around this place.
I'm down to the last two or three loads now, and I'm internally rejoicing...untill...I'm not going to let it happen ever again!!!

No comments: