Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Book Review | Lucy's Legend: A Robin Hood Story

Happy Tuesday, everyone. I hope you're having a marvelous day. This past week, I've had the distinct privilege of being asked to review another book. It's been awhile, so I was definitely ready to get back in the saddle.
 
This book was written by my dear friend Amanda Grace (follow her blog HERE ). She and I have gotten to know each other over the past seven months and I can tell you, ladies, this young woman has a heart for Jesus. She's very encouraging and fantastic with kids. And, I've found out, a wonderful writer.


 
Now, this book might seem procedure; just another Robin Hood tale. Robin becomes an outlaw, robs from the rich, feeds the poor, marries Maid Marian, happily ever after.
Well, this is not your average retelling of the classic legend that has become as close to American hearts and seems as much a part of our history as the English.
 
Without giving a ton of the plot away, I will highlight what I loved about the book. Amanda is very skilled at character development. It's beautiful to see the personal spiritual journeys of each character; their struggles, sins and moral victories. Jesus' name is lifted high and that is rare in a Robin Hood. The plot is clever and, though it moves a little quickly for my taste, is well rounded and delightful to follow.
 
The only thing I can really say against it is that there isn't much in the way of character or setting description.
Miss Grace knows that each person has an image in their head of what each familiar character looks like. We know Nottingham Castle and Sherwood Forest; they're well grounded as a setting to many a sweet dream and, though I would have liked to have had a glimpse into the author's imagination, it certainly doesn't destroy the story. It's very character-driven and I've read many books where the author completely neglects his characters in favor of the world he has built. If you've ever wanted to get to know your dear, familiar characters more on an intellectual and spiritual level, this is the book for you.
 
I highly recommend this lovely volume! Get thee to Amazon and purchase it post-haste. The story awaits!

1 comment:

Paige said...

This sounds like an intriguing read! It's funny that you and I did a book review on the same day. :)