Thursday, September 25, 2014

The Janeite Tag



Good evening, my friends! I hope you've had a lovely day. I have been pretty sick the last few days, so the posts I had planned needed to be put on the backburner. But, HUZZAH! There was an encore to my blogging life! The lovely Paige of Sunday Best and All the Rest, being the sweetheart she is, descovered my weakness for Jane Austen and invited me to join in this fun game!

The Rules:
~Thank and link back to the person who tagged you.
~Tell how you were introduced to Jane Austen and share one fun fact about your Janeite life (This fun fact can be anywhere from "I stayed up all night reading Emma" to "I went to the Jane Austen Festival in Bath, England.")
~Answer the tagger's questions.
~Write seven questions of your own.
~Tag as few as 1 or as many as 7 other Janeites and let them know you've tagged them.



I was introduced to Jane Austen around 2007 when my family was lounging around the living room, flipping through the channels and came upon the 2005 "Pride and Prejudice." We only caught the end, but my mom and I were totally hooked! We rented it, bought it, then moved on to "Sense and Sensibility" (1996) and then "Emma" (1996) and beyond, which, in my opinion, is the funniest Austen film (and book)!



Fun Fact: I can fully quote both "Emma" (1996//Gwyneth Paltrow) and "Sense and Sensibility" (1995) doing all the voices just like the actors (Except maybe Colonel Brandon; the only one who can do Alan Rickman's voice properly is Benedict Cumberbatch) 


Paige's Questions//My Answers

1. What is your favorite Austen Book?
Hands-down "Mansfield Park"!
2. What is your favorite movie adaption of Austen's books?
One does not simply...oh, goodness! This is a hard one. I would probably say "Sense and Sensibility" (1995). I adore Alan Rickman as the Colonel and couldn't imagine anyone else as the characters! No other S&S adaption measures up, in my opinion.
3. What is your *least* favorite movie adaption?
From what I've seen so far, "Sense and Sensibility" (2008). It wasn't bad, it just didn't connect for me. It fell rather flat.
4. Which character in any of the novels do you relate to most?
I wish I was just like Fanny Price-Bertram, but in character, I am a absolutely Elinor Dashwood-Ferrars. My sister is Marianne, too! And right now (as in the beginning of the book), we are 19 and 16!
5. If you could choose a Jane Austen home to live in, where would you live?
Donwell Abbey. I relate to Emma a lot, as well, I'm afraid. But Donwell seems the most welcoming place to me. To be in the position of benefactress to so many good people (read: Abbey Mill Farm). I imagine it as a grand, inviting place with lots of stone and rugs and chandeliers that just needs a woman's touch ;)
6. Who is your favorite Austen hero?
George Knightley, bar-none! I am determined to find my own Mr. Nightley. Forget Darcy, he was an absolute idiot (forgive my language), Edmund Bertram was blind to everything, Colonel Brandon was too tragic, Henry Tilney was both charming and cold at the same time, Edward Ferrars was...well, dreamy, but rather unaspiring. Knightley had me from page 1!
7. If you were to write a sequel to any of Jane's novels, what would it be about?
"Death Comes to Pemberly" is a pretty acurate sequel already. But I think I would love to write more about Emma. She still trips up, she still makes mistakes, but she never gives up and with her husband by her side, she can learn a lot more. Plus, I would love to see what their children would have been like. Most likely, at least, a level-headed daughter and a wild, conniving son, always getting his poor sister into the most terrible scrapes! That would make me laugh :)

Here are my "nominees", if you will:

Desarae of Gladness of Heart
Amanda of Amanda Grace

And I have one dear friend who is decidedly not a Janeite and I thought of tagging her, but I thought better of it. You know who you are ;)

MY Questions for YOU
1. Which do you prefer? Books or Movies?
2. How would you go about introducing a friend to Jane Austen?
3. It's Marathon Movie Night! Which 4 adaptions are you going to watch and in what order?
4. Who is your favorite "Villain"?
5. Who would you rather travel with on a long journey by carriage? Mrs. Jennings or Lady Catherine DuBurgh?
6. Which book/movie do you think is the funniest or most clever?
7. With whom would you rather be forced to stay with during your London trip? The "Affable" Miss Lucy Steele, the incorrigible Lydia Wickham, or the incessant Mrs. Elton?

I can't wait to see your responses! Don't forget to comment with the link to your post when you get around to it :)

3 comments:

Mandi Grace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paige said...

Lovely post McKenna! Thanks muchly for doing it. :D I hope you feel better soon.
It's fun to know that we share the same character likenesses, memorized movies (I already said S&S on my blog, but I also have 1996 Emma memorized)and favorite hero. And I like your sequel idea. ;)
Great questions!

Kellie said...

Thanks so much for the tag, dear! I am definitely an Austen lover, but sadly don't have the spare time to participate. Thanks so much for thinking of me though! <3

-Kellie