Thursday, January 16, 2014

HSF 2014 Challenge #1: Make-Do and Mend-1920s-40s Evening Coat

I can't believe it! I had this entry done A WEEK AGO and I totally forgot to take pictures of it yesterday! Thus, here is my *slightly* late project for the HSF. It's a 1930s green cotton-velveteen coat with brown faux fur collar and cuffs and black velveteen trim!


 But, before I continue, here are the actual 1930s evening coats that gave be the inspiration (and credibility) for this project. I was also greatly inspired by the gorgeous fur-trimmed coats that Helena Bonham-Carter wore as the Queen from "The King's Speech". In fact, as soon as I was finished, I tried the coat on and I called out in the basement to "Dr. Logue." I said, in the most royally British voice I could muster, "And what if my husband were the Duke of York?"





This was a self-drafted pattern and I really took my time on it. I even took the time to copy all the pieces I cut of the fashion material onto some useless fabric so I could recreate it! The coat fits in the challenge because I had to "Make-Do" with it. All the materials were from the stash and-don't tell anyone-the green velveteen was actually a set of curtains not long ago. I also really like it because it's a multi-decade wardrobe item! It's completely acceptable from the 1920s through the 1940s! We couldn't get a full shot (space was a bit cramped), but I'll tell you that the coat extends down to mid-calf length. I could have just buttoned it closed like the ones above, except...I didn't want to look like a hippopotamus that ran through Gramma's clothesline. Thus, the waist had to be cinched!



Fur close up. Don't get dizzy!

The simple elegance of a pearl necklace adds finesse, I think. Thanks, Mamma!

My vintage clutch!

Sorry I didn't use a lint-brush on the trim before it was photographed :P









Just the Facts, Jack! (I couldn't resist)

The Challenge: #1-Make-Do and Mend
Fabric: 4 Yards Cotton-Velveteen, 1 Yard Black Velveteen, 1 Yard Faux Fur
Pattern: Self-Drafted
Year: 1925-1943-ish
Notions: Thread!
How historically accurate is it?: Very!
Hours to complete: 8ish
First worn: Around the house mostly. It makes an excellent robe for the cold Winter mornings!
Total cost: $0.00!!! Hooray for stash fabric (I think my dad is cheering, too ;)

2 comments:

Gina said...

Oh my gracious but your green coat is so lucsious! I love the addition of brown fur!! Yeah!!!

Blessings!
Gina

McKenna said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments, Gina!!! So glad you like it :D